Guides to Law 6
The new version of Law 6 and Appendix E came into force on October 1st.
There are two guides which can be downloaded below - please click on the links at the bottom of the page.
The information is also available on the Lord's website, which can be found by clicking here. There are also further details for manufacturers and retailers.
The new Law is far more prescriptive than the previous version but almost all bats which were legal under the previous Law 6 will remain so.
The main points are as follows:
- The handle itself is defined, consisting of an upper and lower portion. The junction of these two portions is under twine binding and the grip and so is not visible.
- The handle’s constituent materials are specified and the proportions of each controlled. The predominant material in the handle must be cane and/or wood.
- Stricter limits are set on both the nature and thickness of protective coverings.
- Limits have been set for the thickness of manufacturers’ logos and the area of a bat these may occupy.
- An important new aspect of the Law is that bats have to be graded as either A, B or C.