Governing Body Endorsement

The government's Points Based Managed Migration system means that cricket clubs will need to obtain a sponsor licence from the UK Borders Agency in order to bring cricketers and coaches from outside the EU into the country.

As part of this process, clubs must obtain from the ECB a Governing Body Endorsement BOTH for their sponsor licence and for individual players and coaches.

Following Home Office approval of ECB's Governing Body Endorsement requirement process, the guidance document, together with application forms to be used when applying for these endorsements are found at the foot of this page.

For further information on the Points Based Managed Migration System, please see the Home Office website.

  • Annexes 2, 5 and 6 are for use for County Cricket Boards Endorsement applications.
  • Annexes 3, 7 and 8 are for use for (Non First Class Endorsement applications.
  • Annex 9 is for use in all relevant applications.

Please note that the ECB cannot provide advice or guidance on immigration routes, processes or an individual’s status. You will need to contact a registered immigration advisor who is OISC registered or by calling either of the numbers listed in Useful Contacts.

Applications for the 2017 season can be submitted from 1st September 2016. All endorsements for players and player-coaches will be issued with an effective from date of 1st September 2016, to a maximum of 30th September 2017 or to length of contract, whichever date is sooner.

For clubs going through this process for the first time please click here for a Step by Step Guide.

Current processing times for endorsement applications are as follows:

  • Sponsor Licence endorsements - seven working days from receipt
  • Migrant endorsements - 14 working days from receipt


Additional information:

Applications made under COACH ONLY will only permit a person to coach for the club and not to play.

Useful contacts:

The ECB is not registered to give advice on immigration. Information on aspects of immigration policy and law can be found on the Home Office website.

Clubs are advised to allow sufficient time for entry clearance to be granted. The time needed to obtain entry clearance may vary depending upon where the player is applying. Service standards for each post are set out on the Home Office website.

This site also contains a guide to Visa processing times for specific overseas posts.