England v. Australia
NatWest International T20 Series, England v Australia
Toss: Australia won the toss and elected to bowl.
Result: England win by 27 runs
- Australia's total of 248-6 in the first match of the series was the second highest innings total in T20 international history and the highest in matches between Test-playing nations. Sri Lanka's 260-6 against Kenya in 2007 is the highest overall.
- Aaron Finch's 156 in the opening match was the highest individual score in international T20 history, beating Brendon McCullum's 123 against Bangladesh in September 2012.
- Finch's total of 156 is the third highest T20 score ever, Chris Gayle's 175* for the Royal Challengers Bangalore back in April and Brendon McCullum's 158* for Kolkata Knight Riders in 2008 the only two higher scores.
- Finch (14) hit the most sixes in an international T20 innings, beating the 13 hit by Richard Levi in his unbeaten 117 against New Zealand in February 2012.
- At The Ageas Bowl Australia ended a run of five consecutive T20 defeats. It was also their first T20 victory in England after five defeats from five completed matches.
- The match aggregate of 457 in the series opener was the most runs scored in an international T20 match. The previous highest was 428 between New Zealand and Australia at Christchurch in February 2010.
- Joe Root's unbeaten 90 was the third highest T20 score by an England player. Alex Hales hit 99 in June last year against West Indies and Luke Wright hit 99* against Afghanistan in September 2012.
- Root's score of 90* was the second highest international T20 score by a player in their first innings (not on debut), Ricky Ponting hit 98* against New Zealand in his first T20 knock for Australia back in February 2005.
- There has been one previous completed international T20 at Durham International Cricket Ground. South Africa beat England by seven wickets in September 2012.
- 10 of the 12 bowlers used in the first T20 of this series between England & Australia had an economy rate over 10, the most ever in an international T20 fixture.