Australia v. England
Australia v England Test Series 2013/14
Toss: Australia won the toss and elected to bowl.
Result: Australia win by 8 wickets
- Australia have won (60) twice as many as Tests at Melbourne as they have lost (30). They have lost twice as many as they have drawn (15).
- England have won 20 and lost 27 Tests at Melbourne, with seven draws. It is their second most successful regular Australian Test venue - they have a win percentage of 40.7% at Sydney.
- The last 15 Tests at Melbourne have produced a winner. Australia have won 12 of these matches.
- The two previous occasions that a team regained the Ashes by winning the first three Tests of a series, they went on to complete 5-0 whitewashes - both times Australia, in 1920/21 and 2006/07.
- The overall draw percentage of 14.3% at Melbourne is the lowest at any venue that has hosted at least 10 Tests.
- Alastair Cook needs 45 runs to join a club that Kevin Pietersen became the fifth member of at Perth - players to score 8,000 Test runs for England.
- Michael Clarke needs 13 runs to become the sixth player to score 8,000 Test runs for Australia.
- Stuart Broad (231) needs four wickets to pass Andrew Caddick (234) as England's 10th highest Test wicket-taker.
- Swann's average of 80 in this series is his worst series bowling average. His average of 29 against Australia in the summer was his best series Ashes bowling average.
- Mitchell Johnson has induced a play and miss percentage of 16.4% in this series, the highest percentage of any bowler.