Sri Lanka v. South Africa
Sri Lanka v South Africa ODI Series 2013
Toss: Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to bat.
Result: Sri Lanka win by 17 runs (D/L Method)
- Kumar Sangakkara hit a career best 169 in Sri Lanka’s 180-run victory over South Africa in the first match of this ODI series. He hit six sixes in this innings, only Sanath Jayasuriya has hit more in an ODI fixture for Sri Lanka.
- Only once before have the Proteas suffered a bigger defeat (by runs) than they did in this opening ODI against Sri Lanka, losing by 182 runs to Pakistan in 2002.
- South Africa have lost their last four completed ODIs at the RPS in Colombo, with their last victory at the venue coming back in 2002 against Kenya. Their only victory in six attempts against Sri Lanka here came in their first game at the stadium back in 1993.
- Ajantha Mendis needs one wicket to reach 100 ODI wickets. He will be the fastest Sri Lankan to the landmark if he does so – Lasith Malinga took his 100th wicket in his 68th ODI. Mendis has played 62.
- Tillakaratne Dilshan has played the highest percentage of attacking shots (45%) of any player to face 200+ balls in ODIs in 2013.