South Africa v. Australia
South Africa v Australia Test Series 2014
Toss: South Africa won the toss and elected to bat.
Result: South Africa win by 231 runs
- South Africa’s innings victory against New Zealand last January at St George’s Park, Port Elizabeth was their first at the venue since November 2000. They lost three and drew one Test in the interim.
- Australia are attempting to win their 50th Test against South Africa. Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe are the only nations they have higher win percentages against.
- AB de Villiers needs 34 runs to become the fourth player to hit 7,000 Test runs for South Africa.
- Since the start of 2011 de Villiers has batted 15 times in his second innings of Tests, hitting 950 runs at an average of 73.1.
- Mitchell Johnson (254) needs six wickets to pass Jason Gillespie (259) as Australia’s sixth highest Test wicket-taker.
- Since the start of the Ashes Johnson has taken 49 wickets in six Tests, at an average of 13.1 and strike rate of 27.2. In this time he has induced a false shot percentage of 31.2%.
- Ryan Harris needs five wickets to become the 36th player to take 100 Test wickets for Australia.
- Brad Haddin (224) needs five dismissals to enter the top 10 of the list of wicket-keepers with most Test dismissals. Wasim Bari has 228 in 10th place and Matt Prior 230 in ninth.
- In his first innings Graeme Smith will play his 100th Test innings in South Africa. He needs 45 runs to follow Jacques Kallis in reaching 4,000 Test runs in South Africa.
- Dale Steyn (63) needs two wickets to pass Hugh Tayfield (64) as South Africa’s leading Test wicket-taker against Australia.