ECB is inviting entries from young journalists and regional newspapers for the County Cricket Journalism Awards 2013 supported by The Times.
The awards, now in their third year, are designed to recognise outstanding contributions towards the coverage of domestic cricket during the 2013 county season.
This year’s County Journalism Awards will also incorporate the Christopher Martin-Jenkins Young Broadcaster of the Year award which recognises broadcasting excellence within the domestic county game.
The Young County Journalist of the Year award will also be re-named after ‘CMJ’ – the former BBC Radio Test Match Special commentator and The Times cricket correspondent who died earlier this year.
From this year, The Times will also fund the £5,000 scholarship which is awarded to the Young Journalist of the Year to report on an overseas cricket event involving English county teams.
The three other categories in which awards are made to recognise outstanding coverage of County cricket are: National Newspaper of the Year, Regional Newspaper of the Year and Best Online coverage of the Year.
The National Newspaper of the Year award and Best Online coverage of the Year award will be made by a panel of cricket writers and broadcasters based on their assessment of the season’s coverage in these categories.
Entries are invited for the Regional Newspaper of the Year Award, the Christopher Martin-Jenkins Young Broadcaster of the Year and the Christopher Martin-Jenkins Young Journalist of the Year award.
Christopher Martin-Jenkins Young Journalist of the Year
· This category is open to any newspaper or online journalist who was under the age of 30 years-old on January 1st, 2013. Each entrant is required to submit a maximum of three examples of their coverage of county cricket, preferably including evidence of exclusive stories or original material, which must have been published after January 1st 2013.
Christopher Martin-Jenkins Young Broadcaster of the Year
· Each entrant in this category must also have been under the age of 30-years-old on January 1st 2013 and is required to submit a maximum of three previous examples of their coverage of County cricket. This can be live commentary or interviews/features or a combination of the two. All must have been broadcast after January 1st 2013.
Regional Newspaper of the Year
· This category is open to any daily, evening or weekly regional newspaper in England and Wales.
· Each entrant in this category is required to submit examples of their newspaper’s coverage of County cricket – a maximum of five articles and all must have been published after January 1st, 2013.
· Each entrant is also required to supply a short statement of no more than 200 words explaining how the publication expanded or improved its coverage of County cricket in 2013.
Please note: The closing date for entries is Monday, September 17th, 2013:
Entries can be sent:
- Via post with photocopies of articles to the below address or via email with PDFs of articles to email@example.com.
- For the Young Broadcaster Award, please email MP3 files to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a CD to the below address
Andrew Walpole, Head of Corporate Communications, ECB, Lord’s Cricket Ground, London NW8 8QZ.