Adams stays at Sussex
Yorkshire have announced that Chris Adams will remain at Sussex despite his agreement to move to Headingley Carnegie as captain and director of pro cricket.
That deal, with Adams on a four-year contract, was announced at a press conference on November 1.
However, in a statement issued by Yorkshire just 13 days later, they confirmed: "Having visited the club on two occasions and discussed his new role, Chris feels that the challenge facing him is too much, too soon.
"He has made the decision to remain at Sussex as a player where he will honour his contract and will look to move into a management role when the time is right."
Yorkshire chief executive Stewart Regan said: “The club are shell-shocked by Chris’s decision to remain with Sussex.
"Having spent time with him last night when he presented his thoughts on the future to the Yorkshire playing squad, it came as a great surprise this afternoon to hear of his change of heart.
"We offered him the chance to carry on with his playing career whilst providing the opportunity he desired to move into a managerial role.
"It is a big job, that is true, but, Chris and our board felt that it was a challenge he was up to and it is very disappointing that he will now not be coming to Headingley Carnegie.
"I appreciate his honesty in advising us of his decision before moving to the club.
"The board will be reviewing the options tomorrow morning but remain committed to the structure announced on November 1."
The Yorkshire playing squad and staff were told of Adams’ decision late on Tuesday afternoon and there was said to be genuine disappointment at the news.
Sussex chief executive Gus Mackay could not contain his delight at keeping hold of the services of the man who led them to the double this season – they won the Liverpool Victoria County Championship and C&G Trophy.
It is the second time Sussex won the championship in four years under Adams’ leadership, having never previously captured the domestic game’s most prized trophy in their history.
“When Chris informed us that he would not be taking up Yorkshire's offer we were thrilled at the news,” Mackay said.
“Chris has been so much a part of the Sussex success story that, although we wished him well with his new venture, we knew he would be missed.
“We are all extremely pleased that he will remain a Sussex man.”