Tykes hold talks with McGrath
Yorkshire will be holding talks with disillusioned ex-skipper Anthony McGrath next week in an effort to convince the former England all-rounder to stay at Headingley in 2007.
The 31-year-old has two years left to run on his contract and scored 1,293 Championship runs last season.
However his future is in the balance after McGrath raised concerns over the way Yorkshire are being run.
Chief executive Stewart Regan said: “Anthony has spoken to one or two of the players and also to chairman Colin Graves, and made it known that he is not particularly happy with the situation at the club, but he is under contract and we want him to stay.
“I will be meeting him next Monday or Tuesday to discuss the situation and hopefully we will be able to sort things out because we certainly don't want him to leave.”
Regan revealed that the decision by Yorkshire to part company with former wicket-keeper Richard Blakey, who had taken up a coaching position with the county, had upset McGrath.
“I think this is part of the problem, along with one or two other things,” said Regan, “but we are going through a period of change at the moment and I am confident that the situation will resolve itself.”
Coach David Byas said of his former Yorkshire team-mate: “I think he is a wonderful professional and I have absolutely no axe to grind with him at all.
“I have had a very positive relationship with him and I think his batting has been outstanding, particularly over the last two seasons after being discarded by England, and their loss has certainly been our gain. His form has been second to none among the whole squad.”
Byas, who has yet to talk to McGrath about his concerns, added: “He remains a very important and senior member of the side and I am anxious that we can resolve the situation as soon as possible.”
McGrath is due to meet for talks with Regan early next week, and Byas may also be involved in those discussions. Both Byas and Regan are currently on holiday.
Byas said: “Anthony was on holiday himself recently and, although I have heard rumblings, I have not yet been able to speak to him about it.”
The former county captain had been expected to be a candidate to skipper Yorkshire in 2007 following Australian batsman Darren Lehmann’s departure.