BCB bans Raqibul

Bangladesh v England Promo

Raqibul Hasan

The BCB hopes the penalty given to Raqibul Hasan, who hit a century for the A side against England, will act as a deterrent

The Bangladesh Cricket Board has terminated the contract of Raqibul Hasan and suspended him for three months after he decided to reverse his decision to retire from international cricket.

The 22-year-old batsman threw the Tigers’ plans into disarray when he announced his retirement on the eve of the first Test against England amid suggestions he was unhappy at his absence from the limited-overs set-up.

The decision came just after he had been picked to face the tourists in the series opener in Chittagong, having made a century in their pre-Test warm-up game against Bangladesh A.

Bangladesh head coach Jamie Siddons described Raqibul as “a confused kid” at the time and said he would do everything in his power to restore him to the international set-up.

The Barisal Division player subsequently wrote to the BCB overturning his decision, but it has taken a hard line against him as a deterrent to other players.

The BCB confirmed Raqibul reversed his retirement on Wednesday but would now face disciplinary measures.

“The board considers Raqibul’s conduct in the whole affair as disruptive to the preparation of the Bangladesh team ahead of a highly important Test match,” read a BCB statement.

“It was a serious breach of discipline on the part of a contracted player and unbecoming of an international cricketer.

“As such the board has terminated his contract with immediate effect and he will not be considered for selection in the national team for three months effective from 19 March to 19 June 2010.

“The board believes that timely punitive measures would discourage other players from taking a similar path in future and has decided that very strict actions will be taken against cricketers who break discipline and BCB’s code of conduct.”

The news is sure to be a frustration to Siddons, who said earlier today he expected Raqibul to join the side on their summer tour of England.

His ban means he will not be available for the two Test matches - at Lord’s on May 27 and Old Trafford on June 4.

Just hours before the announcement Siddons had told the media: “He’s left his run a little bit late for this match, I would have had him back no problem but there’s a few little delays happening.

“Hopefully we will have him back for the summer tour of England and the Asia Cup.”

Follow on Facebook


Become a member of the official fan community of England cricket on Facebook right now - and get your opinions heard!

Get our free apps

Apps Promo

Download the ECB Cricket app for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry or Nokia phones and get live scores, news, video and other services on the move