Jones ruled out for England
England fast bowler Simon Jones has been ruled out of the fifth and final npower Ashes Test with Australia at The Brit Oval.
Jones had a fitness test at Lord's on Tuesday morning but was still experiencing pain from a right ankle injury and was immediately withdrawn from the squad.
The Glamorgan bowler had been receiving intensive treatment - including hydrotherapy and using an oxygen chamber to speed up recovery - on the injury he sustained in the fourth Test victory at Trent Bridge.
Jones has taken 18 wickets in the series and will be replaced by either James Anderson or Paul Collingwood.
Jones admitted he was "gutted" at not being able to play in the series decider but he knew after undergoing his fitness test he would not be able to feature in a five-day match.
"There was no chance. It is a sickening blow,'' said Jones, who was ruled out of the Ashes series in Australia after sustaining a serious knee ligament injury in the opening Test in Brisbane in November 2002.
"I have had a few injuries in my career, you have to get over the disappointment. These things happen.
"You have to just get on with the job and I'll have a chat with the medical staff and see what I can do in the next few weeks to get over this ankle injury.
"I'm going to go home and chill a little bit and then I will come back to be with the boys.
"It's not very nice watching but sometimes you have to do that to support the boys.''
The 26-year-old has only 18 Test caps but he is in no doubt just how good this summer's encounters have been.
"It has been the best series I have ever played in,'' he said.
"We're playing against the best team in the world at the moment and I don't think any other series will measure up really, except when we play them (Australia) again next winter.