Jones returns to action
England paceman Simon Jones returned to action today after almost a year out following a knee injury he feared might end his career.
The Glamorgan star bowled eight overs for his county in a 50-over friendly against reigning county champions Sussex at Hove, as he builds up match fitness ahead of the new domestic season and forthcoming summer of Test cricket.
He ambled in to the wicket but still produced deliveries of significant pace, although he is expected to sit out the fixture between the two sides on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old has been out since June after having surgery on his left knee and is playing in only his fourth game in 18 months following ankle and knee problems.
It was a happy day for Jones, who at one stage thought his career was in jeopardy.
“It does enter your mind, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t,” Jones told Sky Sports News.
“I was lucky really to have (leading knee surgeon) Dr Richard Steadman, because he’s the best in the world and he puts you at ease straight away.
“You know when he says you are going to play again, you are going to play again.
“I’m feeling confident, you get the odd aches and pains but I keep myself as fit as possible.”
Jones twisted his left knee while bowling in the nets on tour in India last year and needed surgery.
He returned to action for Glamorgan but required a further operation on the injured knee last June, travelling to the United States for treatment from Dr Steadman.
He was told he would not be able to bowl for at least five months, a prognosis which ruled him out of the Ashes tour of Australia and the World Cup.
Jones admitted his rehabilitation programme had been quite gruelling and said it involved “lots of swimming, biking, going to the gym, running through sand dunes, doing everything that is going to get me as fit as I possibly can be”.
Jones needed to have his right knee reconstructed after damaging cruciate ligaments at Brisbane during the Ashes tour of 2002.