Pietersen pleased with Trophy ruling
England captain Kevin Pietersen has welcomed the International Cricket Council's decision to postpone the Champions Trophy due to security concerns.
Task forces were dispatched to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and England in a bid to assuage their concerns over safety in the Asian country but the eight-team event has been put off for 13 months.
It was scheduled to be held between September 12-28 but will now be pencilled in for October 2009.
South Africa had already pulled out because of the security concerns while players’ associations from England, Australia and New Zealand all advised against participation.
“Players voiced their concerns from all around the world,” said Pietersen.
“All the players I know personally from other countries have expressed their concerns in terms of safety and security. It was good that this decision was taken out of our players’ hands.”
England’s one-day squad were addressed by ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat in Scotland last weekend as the authorities sought to assure teams of the presidential-standard security which would be implemented.
“Over the last couple of weeks it has been a huge topic of conversation in the dressing room,” Pietersen said.
“And last Sunday’s briefing was a huge talking point. This whole week there has been ifs and buts and dos and don’ts.
“What was said was said behind closed doors in terms of who did and who didn’t.
"We spoke to the board and they made their recommendations when they reported back to the ICC.”
Pietersen added: “What I said to the team was to put it to the back of our minds because the most important thing for us is the one-day series with South Africa, and that means standing up to be counted on Tuesday.
“This is a huge decision and cricket can now take priority again.”