Duo set up final date

Ecb Logo Gutter Icon 135x160

York will play Wanstead & Snaresbrook in the Kingfisher Beer Cup Final after both sides enjoyed comfortable wins on Sunday.

In York, the hosts welcomed Bamford Fieldhouse from the Saddleworth & District League in Lancashire who had a number of star names to call including ex-Lancashire and England wicketkeeper Warren Hegg, who was captain for the day, and Chris Schofield, who less than a year ago helped Surrey to the CB40 title at Lord’s.

York captain Daniel Woods decided to bat first and despite losing Duncan Snell early, fellow opener Liam McKendry and Oliver Hairs, with an explosive 56 from 40 balls, put on 84 for the second wicket before the introduction of Schofield made the breakthrough.

Chris Schofield & James Hildreth

Former Surrey and England spinner Chris Schofield took 5-22 but he was unable to prevent Bamford Fieldhouse losing against York

York's fine start subsided though and 105 for one became 136 for six as Schofield tore his way through the York batting line-up including three lbws and a caught and bowled, finishing with figures of 5-22 from his nine overs.

Nick Kay and Steve Crossley provided some resistance before Martin Smith returned to the bowling attack to remove both of them before Tom Pringle and Woods put on some late runs to leave York on 196 for eight after their 45 overs.

The Bamford Fieldhouse reply started poorly, losing Peter Roberts for one before the part-time bowling of Kay removed dangermen Grant Hodnett, one of the top scorers in the Kingfisher Beer Cup this season, and Schofield in one over before the rain came with the visitors on 30 for three.

A break of over an hour lead to a revised Duckworth-Lewis target of 189 from 39 overs and despite not losing any further wickets, some disciplined bowling from Kay, Snell and Pringle meant the run rate kept increasing as Michael Stevens and Hegg struggled to find the boundary.

It was the introduction of the captain into the bowling attack that ultimately finished the game off for Bamford Fieldhouse as Woods removed both Stevens and Hegg and then most of the remaining batsmen as Bamford collapsed from 74 for three to 120 all out, York winning by 69 runs on D/L method.

Woods finishing with figures of 6-14 from just 5.3 overs to jubilant scenes from the large crowd.

A few hundred miles south saw Havant host Wanstead & Snaresbrook in the other semi-final.

The home team chose to bat first and started well before Steven Dean was bowled by Zain Shahzad. Ben Walker soon followed Dean back to the pavilion but Peter Hobson and Stuart Ransley rebuilt and steadily put on 42 runs for the third wicket.

It was the introduction Joe Ellis-Grewal into the Wanstead bowling attack that changed the innings and ultimately the game as he first removed Ransley and then the rest of the Havant middle order.

Hopson reached his half century before being run out by Adnan Akram and Ellis-Grewal helped finish off the tail to leave Havant all out for 156 from 42.5 overs.

Ellis-Grewal finished with 6-18 from his nine overs.

The Wanstead & Snaresbrook reply started poorly as they lost captain Arfan Akram for one but this brought John Chambers and Rehan Hassan together and the pair patiently put on 115 for the second wicket to move their side within touching distance of the final.

Both reached their half centuries before being dismissed so it was left to Petrus Hattingh and Jonathan Das to steer the visitors home to a comfortable six wicket win with nearly five overs to spare and a place in the final in three weeks time.

The Kingfisher Beer Cup will be held at Derbyshire CCC at 11am on Sunday 16 September and there is free entry for all spectators.