RSS feeds from

ECB National Club t20 news RSS

Bourne supremacy

ECB National Club T20

Bournemouth skipper Craig de Weymarn spoke to ECBtv after lifting the trophy at Derby

Bournemouth can pack their suncream and swimming shorts after winning a thrilling Cockspur Club Twenty20 final at Derby.

The Dorset side chased down 153 to beat Cuckney - a win which earns them a trip to Barbados as well as this season's trophy.

In a game which twisted and turned it needed a wonderful 58 from man of the match Nick Park to lay the foundations for the six-wicket win which arrived with just an over to spare.

Earlier in the game Cuckney won the toss and, like they did in the semi-final, elected to bat under the lights at Derby.

They were given a fright first ball when Gloucestershire starlet David Payne skidded one into star batsman Richard Stroh's pads. TV replays suggested it was a reprieve for the powerful right-hander.

Stroh grabbed the limelight with 95 against Ockbrook & Borrowash but it was his opening partner Will Ullyott who took the lead role with a succession of boundaries in the opening two overs.

He chanced his arm once too often in the fourth over and hit Ed Denham straight to mid-on to leave Cuckney 27 for one.

Cuckney captain Will Butler then fell in the next over when Payne pegged back his off stump.

Dangerman Stroh, with blond highlights streaked through his dark locks - think Kevin Pietersen in 2005 - hit two boundaries in the sixth over to prove similarities with the England batsman were not limited to just his hair.

Cuckney all-rounder Tom Ullyott survived a scare in the 10th over when he aimed Simon Watkins over long-on but Payne spilled a straight-forward chance.

Stroh showed there is finesse to his batting and not just raw power with consecutive boundaries off Simon Ridley in the 11th over, the first a straight drive followed by a well-timed sweep that raced for four, as Cuckney reached 79 for two from 12 overs.

Ullyott raised the stakes by swatting the usually miserly Watkins for ten runs from two deliveries as Cuckney began a late charge for runs.

The pair smashed 19 from the 15th over as Stroh moved to his second half-century of the afternoon.

Ullyott was not too far behind, cleverly angling the returning Denham for four to bring up his fifty and the 100-run partnership.

But he soon perished, adjudged lbw the following ball as Bournemouth dragged themselves back into the game.

Cuckney suffered a double setback when Stroh tried to up the ante but could only spoon to wide long-on where Watkins made a smart catch.

The Nottinghamshire side lost their third wicket for just four runs when Fran O'Neil attempted a suicidal single to Craig de Weymarn who picked up and took the bails off.

The wickets continued to fall when David Hunt gambled on a single to wicketkeeper Chris Ridley who hit the stumps with an underarm throw.

Ridley then repeated the dose to run out Adam Burgess in the final over as Cuckney scrambled for singles.

Bournemouth were circumspect in their reply knowing they needed to see off the opening spell of Stroh and Butler.

It took until the fourth over for Mark House to cut loose when he hit three consecutive fours off Butler.

Boundaries were generally scarce but House and Nick Park, who put on 108 in the semi-final win over Reigate Priory, ensured the scoreboard kept ticking over with quick singles.

House was dropped by Butler in the seventh over, one of many catches that were spilled under the Derby night sky, as Bournemouth moved to 51 without loss.

Ullyott was guilty of an equally poor drop in the following over when he failed to grab hold of a simple return catch from the fortunate House.

House continued to ride his luck as the pressure began to tell on the Cuckney fielders, the previously faultless Stroh misjudging a catch on the boundary and falling over the rope off Dan Brown's bowling.

Wicketkeeper Hunt finally ended the succession of misdemeanours with a tumbling effort to dismiss House for 34 off Ullyott as Bournemouth lost their first wicket with 72 on the board.

James Park lasted just one delivery when he was bowled unwisely charging down the wicket to Brown.

Bournemouth responded to the quick dismissals by counter-attacking through Nick Park who launched two boundaries through the on-side off Brown to ease the growing pressure.

Watkins took Bournemouth past the 100-mark in the 14th over with a huge swipe off Ullyott which just missed the Bob Taylor Suite. It was deja vu later in the over as Watkins replicated his previous stroke with another fine strike which soared high over the long-on boundary.

Watkins' double blow took the equation to 43 runs needed from the remaining six overs but the left-hander would play no further part once Richard Bostock trapped him leg before.

Bournemouth's hopes rested on Park's shoulders and he moved to his fifty which came off 49 balls when he turned Brown for two behind square.

With Bournemouth needed 20 from three overs Cuckney skipper Butler brought himself back into the attack in the desperate search for a much-needed wicket.

But with the extra pace came more runs as de Weymarn edged through the third slip region, runs which made Bournemouth favourites.

The Bournemouth captain played an even better shot moments later when he punched Butler through the covers for another four.

Butler ensured there was a late twist by bowling Park for an excellent 58, the ball seaming back and crashing into off stump.

Cuckney needed another wicket but de Weymarn had other ideas by smashing Stroh twice down the ground to take Bournemouth to victory.