Lewis spell helps Parley see off Newport

Ecb U15 National Club Championship

Parley Portman U15

Parley celebrate their progress to finals day

Parley from Dorset became the second team to book their place in the National Finals of the Portman Building Society U15 National Club Championship, right on their home patch at Bournemouth, with victory in the Regional Finals day at Bath CC.

The qualification spot came down to a battle between Newport from south Wales and Parley – with nine of the MCC Spirit of Cricket U13 National Championship winners from 2005 playing for the former.

Newport won the toss and elected to bat, with Todd Lewis proving the main danger for Parley with the ball, as he had done in their morning semi-final victory over Tiverton Heathcoat (Devon).

Lewis took 3-6, all clean bowled, and Newport quickly found themselves three wickets down for the same number of runs; and after eight overs were only 15 for four. Some good shots by the lower order helped to take the total to 62 for nine in their 20 overs with four run-outs not helping their cause.

Parley took only 12.3 overs to knock off the runs, although an excellent spell of left-arm spin by Max Scarr (3-15) made them work hard for the inevitable victory - and they will now be assured of strong local support at the National Finals day on August 23 at Bournemouth Sports Club.

The first match played at the main Bath ground had seen Parley canter past Tiverton Heathcoat, despite the latter winning the toss, electing to field and making some early inroads with Parley being reduced to 18 for two. Ollie Crowther (19) then joined opener Matt Stickland and they added 58 runs; Stickland scoring 52 before having to retire.

Wickets fell steadily as Parley upped the tempo and their innings closed on 124 for seven. The pick of the Tiverton bowlers was Justin Williams, who returned figures of 3-21 from his four overs. Parley then generously gave Tiverton five wides in their first over from Lewis - but in the fifth over he found his line and length and the match was turned on its head.

He bowled two consecutive wicket maidens taking four wickets in the space of nine balls, all clean bowled. From the depths of 17 for five Tiverton found it impossible to make a serious challenge and despite Boxall’s 31 ended on 83 for nine. Lewis finished with 4-7 and Stickland 3-24 with Parley winning by 44 runs.

The other semi-final at the Brownsword Ground, on the outskirts of Bath near the racecourse, was a much tighter affair. Newport won the toss and batted against Hursley Park from Hampshire, losing an early wicket before Hoskins (27) and Imran Hassan (30) took them forward.

From 65 for three in the 17th over a late flurry of runs took the final total to 93 for four, which was a fair reward for a Hursley Park side that had bowled and fielded well throughout the innings.

Newport’s bowlers then proceeded to bowl extremely tightly. G Storey played the anchor role for Hursley Park, finally being eighth man out for 29, but only W Evans reached double figures and with wickets falling regularly Hursley Park were 85 for nine at the close of their innings. Newport had managed to defend a very small total on a ground that is normally known for scores around 120 in this competition.

Tiverton Heathcoat beat Hursley Park in another close-fought, low-scoring match at the Brownsword in the third place play-off.

Bath Regional Final results, August 2:

Winners Parley
Runners-up Newport
Third Tiverton Heathcoat
Fourth Hursley Park