RSS feeds from

ECB Premier Leagues news RSS

Bracebridge win again as bowlers clean up

ECB logo - small version

The latest round of the Readers Lincolnshire ECB Premier League turned out to be a bowling fest after two seven wicket hauls and one sixer were recorded leading to a string of low scoring matches.

Grimsby Town secured the maximum 20 points in the highest scoring match of the day where they posted 227 for eight against Caistor after the bottom team had looked like holding out for a draw.

Having been invited to bat, Grimsby got off to positive start with Scott Harneiss and Neal Snell putting on 60 for the first wicket. Snell hit 37 off 42 balls before being caught by Peter Briggs off Sahan Wijerathne and with only one run added a breakdown in communication with Gihan Perera saw Harneiss was run out for 21.

This triggered a minor collapse which reduced Grimsby to 95 for five, Michael Brown playing on to Nick Warmoth having hit 21 and Steve Crossley and Geoff Middleton both out lbw to Paul Dimbleby and Wijerathne respectively.

Perera and Matthew Cocks then got together to steady the ship, taking the pressure off their team with a partnership of 78 for the sixth wicket. Perera hit 58 before getting a top edge off his fellow Sri Lankan which was caught by Briggs and Wijerathne also dismissed Lee Charton lbw.

But Cocks was still there and from 182 for seven, he and Gary Tillison added 45 in just four overs, Tillison smashing 26 off 13 balls including two sixes before being out off the last ball of the innings. Cocks had also cleared the hedge twice, the first six a huge hit over extra cover and finished on 43 not out as Grimsby’s innings ended on 227 for eight and maximum batting points.

Wijerathne ended with four wickets and was soon at the crease when Jim Parker edged his first ball from Tillison to wicketkeeper Crossley in the only the second over.

But Briggs and the Sri Lankan settled in at the crease, adding 46 for the second wicket and taking Caistor to 58 for one in only the 11th over.

Briggs was out lbw for 22 to Cocks who, swinging the ball noticeably, inflicted the same fate on Harry Boulton. Scott Indian then joined Wijerathne in the highest stand of the day which added 57 before Indian was also lbw to Cocks for 20.

This left the match nicely balanced, the visitors needing just over 100 runs off 20 overs with six wickets still in hand. But with the score on 142, Paul Taylor turned the game with a double wicket maiden, having Mark Gowshall caught by Tillison and following this with the wicket of Wijerathne, who fell to a stunning diving catch by Harneiss for 58.

Dimbleby and Tom Boryszczuk added 22 and Lewis Jefferson gave Caistor hopes of a draw when he and Dimbleby took the total to 183 in the 46th over. At this point, Dimbleby fell to Brown for 21 but Jefferson and Ryan Farrow took the game into the 48th over. However, despite the efforts of last pair Farrow and Warmoth, the final wicket fell with four balls to go as Caistor were all out for 189.

Cocks bowled his full 17 overs to finish three for 51 and Brown took his total wickets for the season to 40, claiming four for 49 off nine overs.

With other results going their way, Grimsby now lie fourth in the table, one above Market Deeping who made a meteoric rise from 10th place following their local derby with Bourne.

Having won the toss and elected to field at Outgang Road, Deeping soon had the opposition in trouble as Michael Kearns claimed the first wicket with three on the board.

Kearns then rattled through the top order to reduce Bourne to 51 for five, only Ben Stroud making double figures with 17. Ali Sharp joined in with the wicket of opener Craig Williams for 25 to make it 52 for six and Nick Cowley claimed the seventh on 68.

But from here Charlie Hopkins and Jack Eifon Jones dug in, adding 54 before Hopkins also fell to Cowley for 25. Eifon Jones hit 22 but the final wicket fell on 117 in only the 40th over, Kearns with seven for 33 off 15 overs and Cowley with two for 11 off eight.

Openers Jonathan Wright and Jamie Morgan appeared determined to win the game without losing a wicket as they put on 106 but their efforts stalled as Stroud dismissed Wright for 30. Morgan and Richard Witt then took Deeping within two runs of victory before Stroud struck again, having Morgan caught and bowled for 71 and leaving skipper David Gillett to hit the winning four and give his side 20 points.

Lindum dropped from fourth to sixth after batting for just 18 overs at Skegness before being all out for 66, Wade McCall claiming seven for 34 off nine overs.

The visitors got off to a steady start with a stand of 25 between Karanjit Bansal and Pierce Morley-Barnes but from here only Harry Dunn with 19 reached double figures as Paul Butler chipped in with two for 30 off nine.

Stuart Turner then scored Lindum’s only success, having Tony Santini caught behind with the score on 34, leaving Saeed Bariwala (26) and Nathan Docker who hit 28 off 13 balls to take Skegness home in just under eight overs.

At Cross O’Cliff Court, Sleaford elected to bat against league leaders Bracebridge Heath and, having lost two wickets for 24 runs to Stuart Airey and Brett Houston, batted themselves into a reasonable position as Jonathan Adams and Oliver Burford put on 83.

Adams became Tom Khoza’s first victim, stumped for 36 and when the total had reached 118, Burford fell to the same bowler, caught for 48. Alex Sears and Stephen Bradford both reached double figures but by the time Bradford was bowled by Matt Bradley, Sleaford were 149 for eight and the innings ended in the 49th over on 161, Khoza with six for 49 off 15.

In reply, Bracebridge lost Nick John, caught by Burford off Tom Brook with only 14 on the board and when the score had reached 33, Brook struck again, having Peter Morgan caught for 25. Sam Burrows then made it 33 for three when he trapped Houston lbw.

Paul Cook was next to go, caught off Bradford for 18 with the total on 60 and with six runs added, Burford took his second catch to dismiss Khoza off the bowling of Sam Gascoigne, who then had Steve Warman caught to make it 80 for six in the 20th over and give Sleaford hope of a surprise victory over the league champions.

But Mark Fell was back in the side after injury and he and Airey pushed the score along slowly until in the 42nd over, Fell hit the winning four to finish on 45 with Airey unbeaten on 33.

Only four matches were programmed for the day and the results left Louth - whose game against Woodhall Spa has been re-arranged for August 31 - still in third place while Bourne dropped from fifth to eighth and Sleaford slipped back to 10th.