Himley frustrated by rain

Ecb Logo Gutter Icon 135x160

Three draws and three abandonments were the outcome from another frustrating day in the Birmingham Premier Division as heavy showers caused varying degrees of interruption in all six games.

For the neutrals, the biggest disappointment was the abandonment of the eagerly awaited clash between the top two at Himley, where Walsall had reached 64 for four in response to the home side’s 172 for seven when the rain returned to have the last word.

Greg Wright hit 86 for Himley but the result was eight points apiece and Walsall maintain their 30 point lead at the top of the table a week ahead of their trip to third placed Berkswell who came away from Barnt Green with a losing draw.

Despite a breezy 25 from Unicorns’ James Ord, the 2011 Champions found the going tough, after winning the toss, and they struggled to 84 for five before rain caused an interruption at the end of the 34th over.

When they returned, a stand of 52 for the sixth wicket between Dougie Brown (43) and Ed Pollock (23) saw them to a declaration on 179 for seven at the end of the 51st over with Babar Khan taking 4-41 for Berkswell.

Facing a revised total of 139, in 33 overs, to earn a winning draw, Berkswell made it to 132 for four with Dominic Ostler scoring 32.

Richard Wilkinson (2-27) was the best of the Barnt Green attack. Brockhampton, also, faced a revised target after restricting Kidderminster Victoria to 173 for nine at Chester Road.

Neil Pinner (56) and Andy Kimberlin (36) added 51 for the second wicket with David Exall picking up 4-28 for the Herefordshire side.

Brock’s target for a winning draw was 149, in 41 overs, and they made it to 153 for four, thanks to Henry Langford (52), Ben Stebbings (35) and Jonny Walker (33).

Ed Foster (104) and Ryan Bishop (58) lead Shrewsbury to 230 for seven in 55 overs at Wolverhampton with the home side’s Aaron Jeavons finishing with 5-47.

Apart from James Hammond (47) and Vishal Tripathi (36), the Wolverhampton batsmen struggled, and eventually, they finished on 129 for seven, in 39 overs.

At the foot of the table, the bottom four were involved in matches with each other and although League positions remain unchanged despite two abandonments, there was a remarkable scoreline at Wellington, where the home side slumped catastrophically to seven for five in 12.2 overs, in response to Dartmouth’s 235 for six, when the rain came.

Ruki De Silva (66 not out) and Kadeer Ali (64) hit half-centuries for Dartmouth while David Lloyd took 3-36 for the Shropshire outfit.

Dartmouth’s Aatif Ali recorded the remarkable figures of 6.5-6-1-3 before the rain returned to foil his side’s attempt to break away from the bottom two.

Rain also ruined what promised to be an entertaining game at Leamington Spa, where the home side had reached 237 for seven from 53 overs when the Umpires took the players off for the third time.

Mark Best (34) and Tom Lewis (22) were in good form but after their dismissals, the home side slipped to 111 for six against a varied K & D attack.

At that point, Paul Best (73) and Jason Young (57 not out) came together to take their side to 204 for seven, then Young and Raiza Jabarkheil saw them to 237 when the rain returned.

After a further delay of over two hours, the players returned at 6.45 pm, for one ball, which enabled Leamington to declare on 240 for seven to earn an extra batting point.