RSS feeds from

ECB Premier Leagues news RSS

Top four squeezed in Cornwall

ECB logo - small version

Callington established a one point lead over Werrington but just four points separate the top four teams in the Jolly’s Drinks ECB Cornwall Premier League following another week disrupted by rain.

Falmouth and Paul got wins in games that hardly saw any time lost. On the flip side Troon and St Austell had to settle for six points each with a cancellation at Treslothan Road, with the pitch too wet after rain got under the covers.

The other two games were abandoned due to heavy showers.

In the top of the table clash at Callington only 20 overs were played against Werrington.

The hosts had reached 54 for two with Sam Hockin taking the wickets of Jake Libby and Matt Robins but after a delay of over an hour, a further downpour, just after three o’clock ended proceedings for the day.

Truro hung around for over three hours to try to finish their game with Camborne, but to no avail. They were seemingly on their way to success having bowled the visitors out for just 72, in thirty overs. Skipper Martin Jenkin top scored with 16.

Truro’s four man attack were all in the wickets with Rob Harrison and Tom Sharp taking three each.

Alex Taylor and Kyle Van Rooyen shared four wickets at the top of the innings.

Truro reached 11 for one but despite waiting until seven o’clock, that was it for the day.

St Just, unbelievably, find themselves just eight points off the foot of the table after losing at Falmouth by 16 runs. Falmouth made 132 for nine in their 53 available overs.

Nick George took three quick wickets to reduce the home side to 15 for three. Antony Angove made 30 but at 79 for seven the visitors were well on top.

Andrew Varker, promoted from the seconds, made a crucial 30 not out to see the overs out. George and Williams shared six wickets.

St Just lost wickets steadily slipping to 61 for five and at 85 for eight were right up against it.

Mark George and Philip Nicholas added 27 for the ninth wicket but George was lbw to former St Just player Justin Stephens for 29 off the last ball of his spell.

Angove (2-22) took the final wicket with over twelve overs to spare. Stephens took 4-37 and George Popperwell took the early wickets ending with 4-35.

There was a tense finish at Paul where the home side gained their first win with an eight run success against Grampound Road, who were missing skipper Chris Hunkin.

Paul made 185 all out in the final over. Ben Brooks made 29 and Matt O’Leary 28. Lewis Sanders took 3-37 and Trent McGrath 3-68. Alex May made 55 not out to almost get the Road home. Matt O’Leary and Kelvin Snell took three wickets each and Callum Donnelly the final two.