RSS feeds from

Blogs RSS

Blowing hot and cold in warm-ups

Posted in ICC World Twenty20

I drove down to Taunton on June 6 raring to meet up with the rest of the England Team to start our ICC World Twenty20 tournament. But the week and a bit of hot, sunny weather came to an end and was replaced by (yes you guessed it) cold, wet and windy weather.

All the England girls were finding it slightly cold so you had to feel for the other teams especially from Sri Lanka and West Indies who aren’t to use to these conditions.

We didn’t have too much time at the hotel before we had to don our suits and head to a garden party at the County Ground, cue the rain! It took everything into the indoor school instead but everything still went ahead as planned. It was quite a garden party and the highlight had to be myself getting my heel stuck into the grass when walking across the ground and then falling down a drain which everyone else found quite amusing!

We had our first warm-up against New Zealand on what was such a cold day. Our net in the morning was an interesting one as the ball moved around a lot and made batting difficult and made us think that the main pitch would play similarly.

Well we were wrong as we won the toss and chose to field first and the wicket didn’t do anything! Batters were allowed to play their shots and the Kiwis were going at a good rate being around 60 for one in the opening six overs. The spinners came on again and proved able to control the game and we managed to pull the rate back a little.

Picking up wickets helped as it took a few balls for the next batter to get in and every dot ball we managed to get was a small win for us. They finished on 122 which after the start they had we were happy to chase. Sarah Taylor and Charlotte Edwards (Lottie) got us off to a steady but solid start and once in they capitalised on the bad ball and got us up to 73 before Sarah chipped one to mid off.

Lottie continued to play her shots and we were always up with the rate; she ended up hitting the winning runs with seven balls to spare to end a good day.

Australia were on straight after us playing India so as a team we decided to stay and watch. Both teams warmed up and the toss was done and then the heavens opened and not one ball was bowled!

The very next day we were up against Australia ouserlves. We lost the toss and were fielding first. Katherine Brunt (Nunny) managed to grab some dot balls early on but Leah Poulton went on a mission and started to hit out and boundaries started to flow.

The spinners came on and managed to pick up our first wicket and helped us to slow the rate slightly. Leah brought up her 50 before she was out for 66; with her wicket we managed to slow the rate but couldn’t stop them getting 142 for five off their 20 overs.

In reply we lost a wicket with the second ball of our innings with Sarah Taylor (Squirt) caught behind for 0. Claire Taylor (Tails) came in and smashed it from ball one. She was on 25 when Charlotte Edwards (Lottie) was on 0 and she continued to up the rate until she was out for a quickfire 42 off 25 balls.

From there we lost wickets are regular points and didn’t really provide any partnerships until the last wicket stand between Caroline Atkins (Shaggy) and Katherine Brunt. Requiring 18 off the last over to win we got a boost when Nunny smashed Sarah Andrews over the rope for six runs, but unfortunately it wasn’t quite enough and we fell four runs short.

The last wicket partnership was 45 runs which just shows that you’re never out of the game in Twenty20 cricket.

Our Twenty20 campaign kicks off on June 11 against India and after losing to Australia we will be keen to get back on track with a win.