RSS feeds from

Blogs RSS

Academy awards in Kibworth

Posted in England Women

We started our preparations for the NatWest Women's One-Day Series by playing two matches in Kibworth - one against our own Academy and the other an ODI against Ireland.

I was told I was going to captain against the Academy which I was a little bit nervous about but knew I would be fine as everyone would help in any way they could.

After losing the toss and fielding, I was to open the bowling with two of our seamers being rested. We got off to a good start and I even managed to bowl Fran Wilson, one stump coming out the ground.. The girls said straight away that they didn’t put the stump in proper and that was the only reason it came out the ground.

Our spinners controlled the middle of the game, we picked up wickets, stopped partnerships building and they finished with 169. Walking off the field it was nice to sit down as we haven’t played 50-over cricket for a while, but I also had a headache from thinking too much.

We were confident with chasing that score down but things didn’t go to plan as we quickly lost both openers. Lottie [Charlotte Edwards] and Tails [Claire Taylor] steadied the ship but when Tails went for 20 there was still a lot of work to be done.

Lottie and Lyd [Lydia Greenway] batted awesomely and hit the ball to all parts, it was good to see Lyd smash the ball for two consecutive fours with her reverse sweep. They put on a 100-run partnership and we won the game easily with 15 overs to spare.

Two days later we were playing against Ireland and I was pleased to hand the captaincy back over to Lottie.

Katherine Brunt

Nunny was fired up at Kibworth and ended up causing some real damage to Ireland's opener who retired hurt

We won the toss and chose to bat on what looked a decent track. We set off like a train and had a good run rate in the early overs before we lost our openers quite close together. Lottie was going well and brought up her 50 but was struggling to find someone to stay with her at the other end.

Laura Marsh provided that support and they really got stuck into the Ireland bowlers. Laura brought up her maiden half century and looked in good touch before she was caught at short fine leg but her innings got us up to 274.

We were happy with the score on the board. Katherine Brunt was on a mission and Sarah, Lottie, Tails and I were fearing for our lives in the slips as Brunt was bowling the quickest we had seen her. She did have the gale force wind behind her, but don’t tell her I said that.

We managed to survive but Shillington, Ireland's opening batter, didn’t come off as well as us. Brunt bowled a short ball and it hit her right on the arm. She retired hurt and we found out after the game that she had broken her arm.

The Irish didn’t really go for the win in the end and blocked out the 50 overs, falling about 150 runs short.

Sorry for talking all about cricket, but we have just had so many games in a short space of time.