Room with a view

Posted in England Women

After long hours in the gym and the nets we met up at the National Cricket Performance Centre in Loughborough for a four-day training camp before heading to West Indies for the ICC Women’s World Twenty20.

Everyone was so happy to be back as a full squad with Sarah, Claire and Holly in the side again. We then had a training day before playing two games against the England women’s academy side.

In the first game we batted first and scored 130 which we thought was pretty decent on that track. We picked up an early wicket but then Caroline Atkins went a bit psycho and hit the ball to all parts of the ground.

She got them within sight of getting the runs but on 74 she was stumped - it was one of the best T20 innings I have ever seen. After her wicket they struggled and we ended up winning by 15 runs.

In the second game we bowled first. We did alright apart from not bowling our overs in time which meant a one over penalty, so six runs were added to their score which meant 131 to win.

We kept up with the rate right the way through our innings but lost wickets. I came in at five and ended up batting with Danni Wyatt for the rest of the game. We hit some boundaries, ran well and managed to keep well up with the rate. I even hit a six (yes dad, I did hit one off the square). We ended up winning with two overs to spare which in T20 cricket is quite comfortable.

It was nice to have a couple of games before we headed to St Kitts.

There was a lot of talk about our route to West Indies due to the volcano which just decided to blow up after hundreds of years. There were plans to get a train to the south of France then fly from there, or fly to another European country from France, then to Dubai and on to the Caribbean. It would have been quite nice to see the south of France but at the end of the day I much preferred the nine hour flight without much jet lag.

Jenny Gunn and Nicky Shaw

We spent a few days at Loughborough before heading out to the Caribbean

On arrival it was a cool 30 degrees with not a cloud in the sky. It’s not a bad country to come to really. The hotel was about 15 minutes drive and the views are amazing - wherever you look you can see the ocean which is amazing. We got to the hotel, had some dinner and most people just crashed out.

Our first training session was hard work with the heat and a bit of jet lag, but it was good to get everything out of our system and to be fair you couldn’t really tell we had just arrived. People were hitting sixes and the bowlers hit their straps, so all in all it was a good day.

My room-mate this leg of the tour is Nicky Shaw - she is one scary room mate. She talks in her sleep and goes walking around the room.

The other night I was watching TV while Nic was asleep but she suddenly sat up, looked over at me, tilted her head and just stared at me like she was in some horror film.

Only a week and a bit to go with her...