RSS feeds from

Blogs RSS

Ashes hurt will last two years

Posted in England Women

I didn't realise how much losing the Ashes hurts. We now have two years to wait until we can work at getting them back.

Australia fully deserved to win our one-off Test as they batted better than us and for them to declare first innings was a brave move.

Putting the three lions on for an Ashes Test is always a special moment and we had three players who did this for the first time Lauren Griffiths, Heather Knight and Dani Hazell.

We won the toss and batted first but lost a couple of early wickets which saw me at the crease a bit earlier then I thought. With Lottie we had to rebuild but batting was difficult and slow. I got so much stick for my strike-rate - they went on and on.

The wicket was already getting low on day one so when a ball hit my glove and carried to the keeper I was shocked. I guess that’s what you get for wearing men’s gloves.

Lottie [Charlotte Edwards] continued batting and just before the end of play she brought up her century which was a brilliant moment. She had batted all day and it was a true captain’s innings.

Charlotte Edwards

Lottie's hundred on a difficult first day was a brilliant innings considering the pitch and slow outfield at Bankstown

Our batting didn’t last long on day two but the buzz when we went out to field was amazing and so much fun. Nunny [Katherine Brunt] got the early breakthrough followed quickly by Isa [Guha] at the other end.

Things were happening quickly for us and we picked up two more wickets to finish in a strong position at tea.

In Test cricket you always have to stay focused even though we were on top as we knew they would keep fighting and a partnership could form.

Our spinners came on and took the remaining wickets. Well, sort of. Australia were nine wickets down and declared still 60 runs behind which we were a little shocked with, but time was always going to be against them. We batted out the rest of the day and were feeling upbeat about our work so far.

We again lost early wickets on day three which brought Lottie and I to the crease. We rebuilt and felt good after doing the hard work and runs were starting to flow a bit easier.

We got to lunch which flew by and before I knew it I was facing up for the start of the second session of the day.

Again runs were coming freely then I had mental lapse and chased a wide ball which resulted in me getting caught at first slip. I couldn’t believe I went for it which was so frustrating.

From there we lost four wickets in five balls which turned the game around totally. Holly [Colvin] and Isa put up a fight and batted really well to put us in a reasonable position. It was a shame that Holly got run out by slipping in the middle of the wicket. We ended up setting them 170 to win and had a day and a bit to bowl them out.

We got a breakthrough getting Haynes out before the end of play and had a massive shout last ball of the day which was turned down.

Jenny Gunn

I felt good at the crease but was caught behind in both innings which annoyed me

We were all fired up on the final day and got an early break through. We got to lunch and still felt in the game but we knew we had to start taking wickets otherwise they would easily get to the target.

Australia came after our bowling with some clean hitting and good running. We missed a few chances which could have changed the game, but they hit the winning runs to reclaim the Ashes back.

The following day most of the team went their separate ways to go and chill out before heading back to England in a couple of weeks.

I flew to Perth, through a thunderstorm which was lovely, and went to watch my old team play on the Sunday.

For some reason all the Australians call me Gunny but one of the mums misheard them and started calling me dunny. A dunny in Australian means toilet but everyone seemed to find it funny.

Fingers crossed this nickname doesn’t stick.