RSS feeds from

Blogs RSS

January blues

Posted in England Women

December was quite a quite month in terms of cricket but we got a bit of a break over Christmas and New Year.

On December 22 I headed over to Sydney to have another Pommie Christmas. Arriving I got paid out quite a lot as I was wearing trousers and a jumper whilst everyone else were in shorts and T-shirts. I'm going to struggle when I get back to England.

The next day we had Poms v Aussies at touch rugby and then football.

Isa [Guha], Holly [Colvin], Beth [Morgan], Lydia [Greenway] and I were up against some rugby pros. After the national anthems, which we sung loud and proud, we got down to business.

I feel we made progress on last year and by the end of the game we had them in trouble but still ended up losing. We were somewhat happy with our efforts and maybe next year we may cause an upset.

On to the real game - football. We started well and even Holly and Isa looked like pros. Well, compared to the Aussies anyway.

Considering they play AFL and cricket where you can get smashed, I've never heard people scream so much when a ball gets kicked at them. We ran out winners and ended the day one-all which was good as no-one had bragging rights.

Christmas Day again felt like any other day. We all made a pact as an England team and go for a morning run, even the management, so getting that out the way early we were able to prepare all our food for the day.

The day flew by and before I knew it, I was so tired and decided to head to bed. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to get to sleep for hours due to Lydia, Lynsey, Beth and Kath who decided they were the best singers in the world and would not shut up singing 'Rolling Down The River' by Tina Turner.
Time seemed to fly after Christmas but this year I had a kind of different New Year's Eve. My housemate Ben bought tickets to a rock opera, which was a bit like the play performed in ‘Forgetting Sarah Marshall’ crossed with a Dracula musical. To be fair I laughed so hard milk came out my nose, which was so embassining.

After that we found a spot overlooking the city to watch the fireworks. I must say they had to be the best fireworks I have ever seen.
We headed back to Perth on New Year’s Day and it was quite nice to get back to some nice hot weather. We got straight back into training as we had a massive game against the Victorians the following week.

On January 7 we headed over to Melbourne and had a Twenty20 curtainraiser before the men’s game on the MCG.

We won the toss and bowled first but Victoria got off to a flyer mainly because Villani came out all guns blazing and smashed 32 off just 17 balls. A bowling change saw Burns remove her which we were all happy about.

Burns continued to bowl tightly and finished with 2-19 off her four overs. We pulled it back well and they finished on 144, which we thought was a par score considering the pitch was a road.

'Beep' [Lauren Ebsary] and Gray got us off to a flyer and I think it must have been the first time ever that I felt sorry for the other team’s bowler. She bowled a no ball, which resulted in a free hit and followed it up with another no ball, but we kicked on and our first wicket to go was Gray for 39 off 23 balls followed shortly after by 'Beep' for 34.

Stammers came in at three and timed her innings perfectly and we ended winning with six balls to spare to win the match.

I forgot how tiring Twenty20 can be so it was early to bed as we had two back-to-back 50-over matches.

On a cool morning, we won the toss and were bowling. Once again, Villiani came out playing her shots and scored a quickfire 32 before Chappell's first wicket. All of their batters got starts but no-one went on to score big runs but with all their contributions, they managed to get up to 246 with Chappell being the pick of the bowlers with 4-47.

We did not get off to the best of starts, losing Gray for four, but from there we nearly had a 100-run partnership with 'Beep' and Merrilees batting well before we lost 'Beep' for 43.

We lost three wickets for around ten runs, which put us on the back foot. Jenny Wallace and 'Fez' [Rene Farrell] created a partnership but we fell behind the rate and lost wickets towards the end and finished 47 runs short.

The very next day we were back and playing to stay in finals contention. Once again, we won the toss and this time batting first.

Related Links