RSS feeds from

Blogs RSS

Such a great tour - it hasn't sunk in yet!

Posted in England Women

Jenny Gunn

© Getty Images

The start of a new month and a slight change in the weather as it must have rained for 24 hours non-stop, which meant another training session indoors. It was a short sharp session as it’s not always great to train indoors - and then it was back to the ranch to get ready for dinner.

Jenny Gunn

That evening we had a team meal to celebrate my 50th game for England in the 2nd ODI. It was a lovely evening and was quite happy that the attention was taken off me when Sue (our physio) received flowers from her kids for mother’s day.

March 2 was our 4th ODI and once again we were bowling first. Nunny came out firing and picked up early wickets. We bowled brilliantly as a unit and were backed up well by the fielders. Nunny and myself picked up two wickets each as well as Lottie who is becoming quite a death bowler these days. NZ set us 200 to win.

Shaggy had to stay at the hotel today as she was a little under the weather so Beth and Squirt opened the batting. We lost Beth early but Squirt and Tails scored quickly and both reached 50s in quick time. We lost Tails when we were in touching distance of the total for 70 followed shortly after by Lottie and Lydia.

I was out in the middle when we got the winning run and even though we won on a wide ball it was still a great feeling to win. Squirt showed so much maturity in her knock of 86 to help us go 2-1 up in the series.

March 3 was our 5th ODI and final match of tour and counting up every single game it was matchday 19. I think we were all shocked when the groundsmen told us we would be starting on time, as when we arrived the covers were still on and there were lots of puddles on the outfield. But there we were, 10.30am, ready to start and you couldn’t even tell it had really rained.

New Zealand were batting first for the fifth time in the series on a morning when we thought the ball would have moved around a bit, and was slightly shocked when it didn’t. Mason got the Kiwis off to a flyer and brought up her 50 at less then a run a ball and had good support with the other opener.

Mase had a bit of luck but took her chance and batted really well until we re-grouped at drinks and then got the big break through the very first ball after drinks when Steph bowled Mase for 67. We managed to pick up another big wicket soon after when we dismissed McGlashan for 48 and we managed to get back in the game. They had small partnerships and another two batters score 36 and 42 for the Kiwis to set us a target of 241 to win the series.

Again we had a great opening stand between Shaggy and Squirt and saw us to 76 before Shaggy played on. Tails came in and as normal upped the run rate from ball one and looked like she was on another mission until she was caught at point for 34. Squirt also got a start before she smashed one at mid on and so we were four down requiring around 60 to win.

Lottie was in great touch and had a plan right the way through our partnership. Lottie and myself shared a fifth-wicket partnership of 50 in 38 balls and was such a great feeling to be out in the middle when Lottie hit the winning runs to finish on 83 not out from only 69 balls and to win the series 3-1. So we finished our most successful tour down under ever, winning the Ashes and drawing 2-2 against the Aussies and then winning 3-1 against the Kiwis - and I still don’t think it has quite sunk in yet!

It was quite sad leaving the rest of the team at the airport but was quite nice to know that we only had a three-hour journey to Oz, whereas the team had a 32-hour journey.

Jenny Gunn Beth Morgan Lydia Greenway

Isa and Lydia’s parents managed to get us into the business lounge, which was pretty cool and we got free champagne; but the time flew whilst we were in there and before we knew it, it was time to board our flight back to Sydney.