One-Day Cup final: Somerset are champions!

Somerset overcome reigning champions Hampshire to win the Royal London One-Day Cup

Hampshire 244 lost to Somerset 245/4 by 6 wickets

Eighteen years and four finals later, Somerset finally have their hands on another List A trophy. The heartache and sorrow of three previous final losses seeped away in a mist of delirium and cider in the the Edrich Stand, where the vocal Somerset supports revelled in their moment. The result never seemed in doubt after Josh Davey struck twice inside the first 10 overs to dislodge Hampshire's openers. The reigning champs fought back through Sam Northeast and James Fuller, but they were unable to retain their title, Somerset legend James Hildreth hitting the winning runs to send the those travelling from Taunton delirious.


Honestly, this kid's a joke. Which 20-year-old hits the ball so confidently and as supremely in their first Lord's final? Tom Banton, that's who. Getting off to a rapid start - his first four scoring shots went four, four, six, four - Banton set the groundwork alongside Azhar Ali for the impending Somerset win. Mixing classy drives with hard hits into the legside, Kevin Pietersen-esque, Banton reached his fifty in 51 balls, clubbing a few more for good measure before falling on 69.

Somerset's bowlers worked well as a unit but Jamie Overton stood out with 3/48 from his 10 overs - and those figures could have been even better had it not been for a wayward final over of the innings that went for 15. Josh Davey set the tone early doors sending down an excellent opening spell to claim 2/28 off 8 overs, while captain Tom Abell also chipped in with an impressive 2/19 off his five.

Despite the steady stream of wickets tumbling all around him, Hampshire’s stand-in captain Northeast stood firm for back-to-back One-Day Cup Final half-centuries. He dug in and battled hard to reach a gutsy 56 from 89 balls but before he could make it a true captain's knock, Somerset skipper Abell brought himself on and bowled him with his sixth ball. 

Hampshire looked doomed as they languished at 180/8 in the 40th over, but Fuller had other ideas. The 29-year-old paceman changed up the gears, taking the attack to Somerset who had no answer to his big hitting. He made it to an unbeaten 55 from just 48 balls thanks to a couple of monster maximums in the last over. His maiden List A half-century enough to give his side some hope, but they fell well short in the end.

 For more Royal London One-Day Cup action, check out the hub.