How to share a concern

If you have any concerns about a child or adult at risk or the behaviour of an adult towards either of these, you should share these immediately. It is natural to feel a little anxious about reporting a safeguarding concern, but remember, it is not your responsibility to decide if abuse or neglect has taken place, but you do have a duty of care to share any concerns you have.

There are a number of ways to report a concern:

  • To your Club Safeguarding Officer – please find out from your club who this person is.
  • To your County Safeguarding Officer – details can be found from your local County Cricket Board.
  • To the ECB Directly – you can do this by calling 020 7432 1200 and asking for a member of the Safeguarding Team or by emailing
  • If urgent and you cannot contact your club, or County Safeguarding Officer, you should call the NSPCC 24-hour helpline on 0808 800 5000.
  • If it is an emergency and someone is at immediate risk, then call the Police or Children’s Social Care in your area.

The ECB Safeguarding Referral Form is very useful in creating a referral as it has several questions and tips to ensure you provide all the relevant information.


Whistleblowing in a safeguarding context means revealing and raising concerns over misconduct or malpractice within an organisation, or within an independent structure associated with it. It can be used as an early warning system or when it’s recognised that appropriate actions have not been taken. This approach or policy is adopted in many different walks of life. Any adult or young person with concerns about a colleague’s conduct towards a child, young person or adult at risk, can report this to the Safeguarding Team by emailing

Reporting Discrimination 

Discrimination of any kind is unacceptable. If you are aware of or witness discrimination at any level of cricket in England and Wales, we want to hear from you. Whatever discrimination you are aware of or have witnessed, your report will be reviewed and dealt with by the relevant cricket organisation. Reporting discrimination will help us to ensure cricket is a welcoming, inclusive, and diverse game for everyone. Click here to read more on how to report discrimination.

Alternatively, concerns can be reported:

  • Directly to the local Police or Children’s Social Care services
  • The Child Protection in Sport Unit at
  • The NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 or email